The Survive to Thrive Sibling Support Group is offered for youth who have siblings with mental health and behavioral health challenges living in the home. Ben Speaks’ knows the wide-ranging impact that mental health issues can have on families, and looks to serve as a resource to youth that are impacted by the stigma, volatilities, and demands placed on families.
Siblings of family members with mental health needs may experience challenges and disruptions in their own emotional growth and development. This group will provide these youth with a nurturing environment to share their unique experiences of having a sibling with mental health needs, engage in empowering and fun expressive activities, and develop their own skills and resources, so that they may thrive in face of the challenges that they and their families encounter.
What is the Sibling Support Group?
• Group is open to youth ages 11-14 years old, living in MetroWest Massachusetts, who have siblings that struggle with mental health and behavioral health issues living in the home.
• Group sessions will include opportunities for both open and themed discussions, expressive art activities, age appropriate learning about mental health challenges and their impacts on families, and empowerment skills to enhance emotion regulation and effective communication.
• This program will be conducted virtually via ZOOM meetings. A reliable internet connection will be required. We will send all virtual meeting links and information via email after registration.
• 10 weeks - 1.5 hours each week (No group will be held September 16 due to Yom Kippur)
• Facilitated by Bretton Torkelson, Psy.D., Judy Giovangelo, Michael Giovangelo and Penny Young; Members of the Ben Speaks’ Board of Directors.
• Cost: This program made possible through grants and sponsors. Thank you to Rockland Trust, ADM Cleaning Services, Penny Young, Judy Giovangelo, Jim McCusker & Nicole Kittredge.
Visit https://www.benspeaks.org/survivetothrive for more information & to sign up.
Download flyer as reminder to follow up or share with someone -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i4s3N2HfQzB9D5oFmHe8rzbmjRm1Dy5q/view?usp=sharing